he Azerbaijani parliament has declared a state of war in several regions and cities of the country, according to a Report by Rossiya-1 on September 27.
The clashes have set off a flurry of diplomatic efforts to prevent a repeat of the decades-long conflict between Christian majority Armenia and Muslim-majority Azerbaijan. Russia has called for an immediate ceasefire and Pope Francis has called for negotiations.
The pipeline that carries Caspian oil and gas from Azerbaijan to the world is close to Nagorno-Karabakh. In July, Armenia also warned of security risks in the south Caucasus after Azerbaijan threatened to attack its nuclear power plant in retaliation.
In clashes on Sunday, Armenian human rights activists say an Armenian woman and child have been killed. Armenia’s Defense Ministry says clashes in Nagorno-Karabakh have left 16 soldiers dead and more than 100 injured.
The Azerbaijani defense Ministry says it has captured six villages and several strategic locations in the conflict zone. In addition, the Country’s Attorney-General reported on civilian casualties. The Armenian Defense Ministry has disputed the allegations on social media.
Armenia said azerbaijani forces had attacked civilian targets, including the nagorno-Karabakh capital Stepanakert, and promised an “appropriate response”. Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan wrote on Twitter: “We are in close contact with our army to protect our motherland from the azerbaijani invasion.”
Two attack helicopters and three unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) from Azerbaijan were shot down during the conflict, the Armenian News agency reported.
US President Donald Trump said that the United States has good relations in the region and is evaluating the situation to see if it can stop the conflict, according to a report by Rosatom on September 28.
Nagorno is an autonomous prefecture of Azerbaijan, covering 4,400 square kilometers in Soviet times, but most of its inhabitants are Ethnic Armenians. Nagorno-karabakh’s 1988 demand for integration into Armenia led to the outbreak of armed conflict between the Albanian and Armenian communities in the state.
After the collapse of the Soviet Union, a war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over Nagorno-Karabakh, and Armenia occupied nagorno-Karabakh and parts of the former Azerbaijani territory. The two countries agreed on a comprehensive ceasefire in 1994, but talks on nagorno-Karabakh have so far failed.
Clashes between Armenia and Azerbaijan erupted in April 2016, leaving at least 200 people dead.
India-china situation: India has deployed its Croat infantry fighting vehicles in eastern Ladakh to counter China
TimesNowNews, an Indian news outlet, reported on Sunday that the Indian army had deployed T-90 and T-72 tanks and BMP-2 infantry fighting vehicles near the Line of Actual Control in The Chumar-Demchok area of eastern Ladakh, which can operate at temperatures of minus 40 degrees Celsius.
According to the report, India has deployed T-72 and T-90 heavy tanks, while China has deployed type 15 light tanks. As winter approaches, the Indian army’s armoured regiment is ready to face the Chinese at an altitude of 14,500 feet.
TimesNowNews said the Indian army was ready to fight against armored columns deployed by the People’s Liberation Army and could use T-90 and T-72 tanks and BMP-2 infantry fighting vehicles against the Chinese army.
Ladakh is known for its harsh winters, when temperatures drop to minus 35 degrees at night, accompanied by blistering winds.
TimesNowNews noted that mechanized infantry is an advanced component of the Indian army with experience working in all weather conditions and in all terrain. The Indian Armoured Regiment is also capable of reaching the LAC within minutes.
India and China have been deadlocked in Ladakh since April and, with no sign of disengagement in ladakh, will also hold their ground during the region’s harsh winter.
India has made it clear to China that its soldiers will open fire to defend themselves, several Indian media outlets quoted an unnamed senior government source as saying. China’s strategy of outnumbering India — as it did in the Galawan Valley clash on June 15 — will not be tolerated. China has deployed about 50,000 troops and equipment along the border, including missile systems, tanks and artillery, the source added.
The Print, an Indian newspaper, reported that The actual situation in Ladakh remained unchanged, despite what appeared to be a conciliatory approach by China at various levels of dialogue. Sources believe India has changed the rules of engagement on the Line of Actual Control (LAC) since the June 15 clash in the Galawan Valley. Exchanges of fire on the LINE of Actual Control have been banned under bilateral agreements.
“Now, if you come close, we will open fire,” said a senior Indian army officer. As for how close to fire? The officer said it would depend on different conditions, day and night.
Last Monday, China and India held their sixth round of military-ministerial talks on the Chinese side of the Line of Actual Control (LAC) border. Lt. Gen. Harinder Singh, commander of India’s 14th Army, met with Maj. Gen. Liu Lin, commander of the Southern Xinjiang Military Region, for the first time since August 2.
New Delhi: India has demanded that China “specifically and thoroughly” withdraw its troops from “friction points” such as Banguong Lake, Chushur and Gogra-Hot Springs, and finalised a road map for de-escalation across the eastern Ladakh border, the Times of India reported last Tuesday. The people’s Liberation Army (PLA) has been told “to take the first step” as it invaded Indian territory in several locations in early May, resulting in a stand-off and military build-up between the two sides, sources said.
Chinese Defense Ministry spokesman Wu Qian said on September 21 that the sixth round of military-level talks between the Chinese and Indian militaries was held at the meeting station of the Moldo border talks. Both sides around the region stability control sino-indian border ShiKongXian frank and in-depth exchange of views agree to earnestly implement the important consensus reached by the leaders of the two countries, strengthen the communication field, avoid misunderstanding misjudgment, stop to send more British troops to a line, not only changes in situ, avoid taking any action that could complicate the situation. The two sides also agreed to hold the seventh round of military-to-military talks as soon as possible, take practical measures to properly handle local issues and jointly safeguard peace and tranquility in the border areas.
Indian government sources confirmed on September 7 that Chinese and Indian troops opened fire during a confrontation near the Line of Actual Control (LAC) on September 7, the first time shots have been fired at the border between the two countries in decades. “India is committed to disengagement and de-escalation of the situation on the LINE of Actual Control, while China continues to take provocative actions to escalate the situation,” the Indian military said in a statement on September 8.
The Chinese Foreign Ministry has said on many occasions that China is not responsible for the recent border situation between China and India. It is the Indian side that comes first in violating bilateral agreements and agreements and important consensus, in illegally crossing the border line to provoke, in unilaterally changing the status quo of the border area, and in firing guns to threaten the safety of the Chinese border troops.
On September 8, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian held a regular press conference. Zhao lijian said that during the incident, the Indian side first fired threatening shots at Chinese border patrol personnel, which was the first time that the calm of the border between the two countries was interrupted by gunfire since 1975. China has repeatedly stressed that the two sides should resolve their differences through peaceful means and consultation and dialogue. Confrontation is not in the interests of either side.
Gold’s rebound to $1,865 still faces many tests this week
Gold prices closed near $1,860 an ounce after last week’s heavy selling as the dollar rebounded. Hawkish comments from Federal Reserve officials last week spurred a surge in the dollar, which was a major factor in the gold price rout. Spot gold closed down nearly $89, or 4.55 per cent, last week.
In early Asian trading on Monday, the dollar index edged lower, prompting a rebound in gold, which briefly topped $1,865 an ounce.
Investors should not expect the rise in volatility in the gold market to end soon as sentiment has not shifted significantly in recent days, according to a Weekly Kitco News gold survey released on Friday.
“There is so much uncertainty and volatility that the market will be chaotic for a while,” said Afshin Nabavi, head of trading at MKS. He added that he was not only neutral on gold but also on the sidelines, waiting for a clearer trend to emerge.
Among Wall Street analysts, opinions on the price of gold this week are almost even, with the bullish camp leading by a narrow margin. Of the 16 participants, six analysts (38 per cent) expect gold to rise; Three analysts (31 percent) each expect losses or a sideways move this week.
For many analysts, the dollar will be the key market for judging how much further gold prices will fall.
Colin Cieszynski, chief market strategist at SIA Wealth Management, said he is bearish on gold in the short term because the dollar seems to have room for a modest rally.
“It has less to do with gold and more to do with the dollar,” he said. The dollar dominates all markets, and gold is no exception. I think we need to see another volatility in gold prices before investors get back into the market.”
Ole Hansen, head of the commodity strategy at Saxo Bank, said he is also keeping a close eye on the dollar. “It looks like the dollar has more momentum, so gold’s weakness may not be over yet,” Hansen said. But Hansen said gold’s correction was likely to be limited as increased uncertainty ahead of the U.S. election could spark safe-haven buying.